We Vietnamese would be lost without our fish sauce; we have it with almost everything most days. This sauce is an amazing garnish to our spring rolls, but it can also accompany almost any dish, it can even be used as a spicy salad dressing, drizzled over the salad just before serving, to bring a little bit of South East Asia to a simple summer salad.
- 2 or 2 and a half dessert spoons of fish sauce
- 1 dessert spoon of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 dessert spoon of warm water (cold water make the sugar not disolve)
- 2 dessert spoons of sugar
- 1 or 2 tea spoons of finely chopped garlic depending on taste
- 1 or 2 tea spoons finely chopped fresh chillies depending on taste
Note: In Vietnam our lemons are small and green I think the rest of the world they are limes. These quantities are enough for two people (6 Spring rolls) , simply multiply the quantities for more people.
Creating the sauce
Adding to the sauce
After the chillies and garlic are chopped, add them to the sauce mixture.For me I like to leave some of the chilli seeds in the chillies as they float on the surface and make the sauce look beautiful.